Monday, September 28, 2009

Nice week-end

Dave and I had a nice family-oriented week-end.  On Saturday, Kristi, Paul, Zach and Tyler stopped by on their way to the Nebraska-Louisiana LaFayette football game.  As you know, we save up little chores for Paul so he can always feel appreciated when he visits.  This time he installed three grab bars in the basement shower, and replaced two sprinkler heads on our underground sprinkler system.  Kristi helped me repot a couple of outdoor plants.  She pruned my ficus within an inch of its life and then went shopping at Wal-Mart with me to pick out a new pot for the ficus's new home. Saturday was Kristi and Paul's 17th wedding anniversary, so taking the boys to the 300th Husker sellout game was a great way to celebrate.

On Sunday, Angie came to Lincoln just for fun.  However, I did have her help me finish repotting the plants on the balcony, so I could bring them in for the winter. Then Angie and I went shopping for more planters at Earl May, and then made a stop at a place called Euphoria.  Angie likes to make jewelry and Euphoria has a wide selection of stones, crystals and other jewelry making accessories.  She found a very unique smoky quartz speciman.  Several crystals were joined together at varying angles, and the resulting configuration reminded me of a wolf's head.  Angie will wrap the smoky quartz with silver wire and make it into a pendant that can be attached to a silver necklace.  I found a beautiful translucent green flourite crystal which was hollowed out to hold a votive candle.   I also found a two-inch quartz crystal blanketed with tiny citrine crystals.  The large clear quartz sticks out of the top of this tiny mound of yellow crystals and looks to me like a castle on a craggy mountian top.



Flourite

 
Quartz and Citrine



I finally finished reading "The Historian."  I won't give away the ending, but I highly recommend it for those of you who love supernatural thrillers.  It's perfect for adding a terrifying dimension to your Halloween enjoyment.  Now I've started reading Dan Brown's new book "The Lost Symbol."  So far I think I can recommend it as a great reading companion for your next trip to Washington, D.C.

Dave is traipsing up and down the stairs to the basement several times daily, and it thrilled to be back in his office and his workshop.  He is finishing up a nice oak cabinet for Angie's apartment that he started long before his accident on May 9, and he hopes to have it ready to stain before the weather turns bad. 

Dave got up to a 112-degree knee bend on his last visit to the physical therapist and the knee brace is now history.  He will use his cane for quite a while I imagine, but otherwise he is back to normal.  Yay!

The first of four marching band competitions for Lincoln Southeast will be this coming Saturday in Clarinda, Iowa.   The other competitions will be in Lincoln and Omaha.  Things will be intense for the next few weeks, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

We'll keep you posted.

Jeannette

No comments:

Post a Comment